A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, December 23, 2016

Fun with failed fabrics


Sorry this is late

The the last technique of the month, I want to do some "experimental" dyeing on some weird pieces of fabric I will probably never use otherwise. This could make the difference in a winner or a loser. You can decide. My primary plan is to add color and subtract color. So how will I do this?

I am starting out with four pieces of fabric.



The piece above was a batik but instead of just dyeing it I scraped on some thickened dye the dribble on some more liquid dye. As you can see I used 2 variations on a theme,small and large.



This piece was awful fabric, coarse and low thread count. It was the first bolt I bought of PFD fabric. I never did that again. I am not really sure how the yellow and red swirls got the the white fabric but during a snow dyeing session, I grabbed it and piled snow over it. I LOVE the way the snow dyeing came out but it's unusable because of the red and yellow dyes.


These last two are cleanup rags. 


I do have a practical plan for these fabrics so I hope you will stick around and view the final outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.