A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Who Am I


Let me introduce myself. I'm Angie Knowles, and while I've been around fabric since I learned to sew at age 9, it wasn't until 2008 when I found the Tampa Bay Surface Design that I discovered the world of surface design.

In my previous professional life I was a member of the US Air Force, retiring in 1995. I worked in the very technical field of finance and radio maintenance. Upon retiring, I went back to school for clothing construction and pattern making, but I never worked in that field. Instead I operated a custom slipcover business for 13 years. Since closing my business in 2014, I've focused on building my skills as a textile artist.

My adventure into the surface design world started with a screen printing course, and I was hooked! Screen printing is still my first love, but I've ventured into other areas: dyeing fabric, marbling on fabric, indigo resist dyeing and of course rust dyeing.

My quest at this point is to merge my 3 loves; screen printing, rust dyeing and indigo resist dyeing into a cohesive body of work. And speaking of body of work, you'd think I would have a lot to show for spending 8 years learning so many techniques.

But I don't. For me the process is more exciting that the final product. But this is changing. I feel I have enough processes under my belt and having narrowed down those processes I really love, it is time to bring it all together.

To help me make this happen, in March 2016, I started the 2 ½ year Art Cloth Mastery Program with Jane Dunnewold. So for the next 2 ½ years I will be discovering my strengths, overcoming my weakness and hopefully discovering how to blend these separate techniques into one.

So that is a little about me, where I've been, where I'm at and where I'm headed.

See you next post!

5 comments:

  1. pleased to meet you and I look forward to this month of Rust!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie... what a hugely great run of two terrific careers and now the time to fall in love with ART Cloth and new friends with Jane in San Antonio...have a blast and do plan to share your work with all of us!
    Bethany in Kingston, ON

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see more of your work!! Love that saw image from rust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I am glad to be here sharing what I've learned and giving back to an amazing community of artist. I hope by the end of this month, everyone has learned something they can add to their tool box.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.