A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, December 18, 2015

Glue Resist

I really like glue resist. One of my favorite designs is one I call mussel shells. I can't find a photo of it silk screened although I have done it numerous times but this is the gist of it.


 
 For this post I decided to use a spiral pattern. 


Here is the screen with the Elmer's Washable School Glue on the screen. I never had a problem getting the glue out of the screen before but during the Maine Event I had to cut out the screen and replace it. Not a big deal but it was odd. I think it was because I left it on over a week. This screened cleaned up pretty easily.


Here is the screen and glue. I think the blue glue might be easier to remove.



First pull in blue


Second pull in Chartreuse after flipping the screen upside down (180)


Washed, dried and ironed.

P.S. Today is my birthday!

22 comments:

  1. I want to be the first to congratulate you with your birthday. I wish you all the best for this new year! Great prints!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Beth.
    Great results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hei Beth, in Norway we say 'Gratulera me dagen', so happy birthday to you! And I love the glue resist, much search arround here to find the right glue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a very happy birthday.......and a special thanks for the screen printing tip gifts you've been giving us.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, Happy Birthday Beth! And thanks for the reminder about glue resist... I love your results, and have to put this one to use soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. altogether now 1 and a 2 and a 3... happy birthday to yoooo!
    Luv those spirals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love using glue as a resist but it's been awhile. Thanks for the reminder. And Happy, happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Beth. Will need to experiment more with the glue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOw do you construct your screen? Do I see cardboard, and what is the purpose of the duct tape?
    Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun and simple technique and love your results. Happy Birthday...Oh, make it a year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patti. You can read my tutorial on making silk screens at www.sewsewart.blogspot.com. Look at the tabs under the header. Use the contact form so I can email you back if you want more details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there....Happy Birthday!!!! and WOW! what fabulous results you got with that screen....absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Beth. I see you made yourself a lovely present.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday !
    óve the spirals !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday Beth,
    thank you for all the great tutorials

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy happy! Mine is just after Christmas and I hated it all my life. The rest of the year is so BORING!

    And my mother used to save one of my Christmas presents for my birthday. I make Frank go out and specifically buy me something....no saving that Christmas present, yeah buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Beth! Just saw this post today. Hope you had a wonderful birthday! So much to celebrate! Love your posts this month. They're contributing to my art resolution for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you celebrated a wonderful birthday, Beth. You are one Amazing Woman!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.