A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, May 4, 2015

water refections

Beginning with a photo of reflections of a red canoe on the water. I took a workshop from Kerr Grabowski in 2011. A great opportunity since I had watched her DVD on deconstructed screen printing about a zillion times and yet still wanted to be able to ask questions and listen to her comments and encouragement to everyone in the workshop.

 
Her screens looked more experienced!  She never washes them because she likes the serendipity of stray bits of leftover color and there's less risk of the frames getting soggy and rotting. 




 





So after letting the screen dry overight, I printed it several times on a length of my handwoven cotton.  There was more texture in the image than I got using commercially available "quilters" cotton. The dye sat proud on the fiber unless I used a lot of print paste and pushed hard with the squeegee.    Several repeats filled the fabric.



Unfortunately, what I had envisioned as red turned out to be hot pink.  I am not a fan of fuchsia dye; I should have known better!



Oh, well, when life gives you fuchsia, you make fruit punch. 



Deconstructed Screen Printing with pink commercial fabric, embroidery on a denim background. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Even though the color didn't turn out as you had wanted you came up with an amazing composition with it. Congratulations. I have been wanting to do some screen printing but it seems daunting but you have inspired me. I especially like the idea of not cleaning up the screen and letting the image be softer on the thicker cotton. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    So happy to hear you are inspired! Pull on your rubber gloves and start printing. A clean screen means you haven't starting having fun yet... :)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the fuchsia works well with the blue. Lucky you having taken a workshop with Kerr, I have to be content with her DVD!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.