A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Deconstructed silk screen.

This December I am featuring deconstructed silk screening as the technique of the month. Most people think of dyeing as a summer activity but deconstructed silk screening can be done anytime of the year IF you have a table large enough to make the prints. I have a 4 ft X 8 ft padded print table. I won't go into great detail with the hows just yet but will simply hit the high point and get you interested enough to check out the December blog posts.



Anything that will create texture goes under the screen



The thickened dyes are scraped over the screen creating areas of thick and thin dye. This is allowed to dry .



These are the screens drying with spacers between each screen so air can circulate. I use jar lids as spacers. Start saving!!

One of the most annoying things that can happen while doing deconstructed silk screens is getting white or un-dyed areas because the dried dyes actually act as a resist. This December I will share some of the tricks I use to get color all over the fabric - no pesky white spots.

And now some of my results:











 And this piece was an older one before I became better at hiding the white. I used over all scraping with a credit card in various colors. This is actually an exception piece.



 These are two pieces I made from my cloth. The first is about 20 X 30 and the other is 12" square.



8 comments:

  1. Beth, Lovely! Looking forward to your posts in December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to know more now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I have always wanted to do more of, and never seem to get around to! Looking forward to your posts in December...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow about how you used them! A wonderful way to showcase what you love about the results, but goes further than just showing the fabric as is.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy!! Beth , you have caught my interest in this technique. I have got to buy some screens and have them ready for December.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to do this!
    Thanks for posting your piece using the fabrics. I bought a piece of fabric made with this technique and haven't been able to figure out what to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what beautiful colour and designs... Looking forward to December.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.