A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

WALL ART HANGING OPTIONS

Hello again everyone.....it's Mary Stori with my final guest post.

Today I'm going to share a technique that has become helpful to me when preparing my small Nuno or other wet felted wall art pieces for sale.  These little guys can be difficult to hang.  Using a traditional fabric sleeve with a wood dowel is generally too bulky.    
Instead I cut a 2"-3" square from felted wool and sub-cut into 2 triangles.  These are hand sewn to the top two corners.  Additionally, I provide a 1/8", or 3/8" diameter metal rod. (Found a most big box home improvement stores.)  It's cut to the appropriate width.  I smooth the sharp edges with a grinding wheel. 

However, there are times when after all the stitching is completed......I'm still trying to deciding whether a horizontal or vertical orientation is best.  In that case I add additional triangles to the other corners which allows the buyer to decide their preference.  The following is an example of one such piece.


CARNIVAL  10" X 7"
Artist Nuno felted wool, hand embroidered and bead embellished.


It's been a such pleasure to reveal some of the tricks I share with my students!!  Please visit my blog from time to time and say howdy!


Mary Stori
web:   www.marystori.com
Blog:  www.marystori.blogspot.com
NEW SHOP BLOG:  www.marystorishop.blogspot.com
Author:  "Beading Basics", "All-in-One Beading Buddy", DVD -  "Mary Stori Teaches You Beading on Fabric", and "Embellishing With Felted Wool"
2004 Professional Teacher of the Year
Bernina Artisan

4 comments:

  1. And could you say a word about how the piece then actually hangs on the wall? Does the metal rod just rest on a nail or sit in a hook, or something else? Thanks! Looks really helpful for small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! I was having a difficult time deciding how to prepare some of my smallest textile pieces for a gallery show in April. A sleeve is just not practical. They don't make rods (that I can find anyway)short enough. This would be perfect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your posts!!! What great tips!!!! You are so clever, in addition to be such a great artist!!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.