A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Karen Weighs In

I have been very quiet this month, I know.  I have been reading the other posts and nodding to myself, yes, yes, I use that.  And yes, those are some of my favorite tools.  But I didn't want to just rehash the other posts.  My favorite thing is putting color on fabric --  I use paints, dyes, inks, and thread.  So I decided that my favorite tool is my stash -- not just the fabric, but all the stuff I use to make it colorful.  I am not particularly keen on sharing my personal space with the cyber-world; however, I am going to show a tiny bit of my solutions for storage of said stash.

I keep most of my fabrics on racks of wire shelves that I purchased at Costco and assembled myself.  I didn't put the wheels on them, but I saved them so if I move someplace where there isn't carpet on the basement floor I can attach them and roll them around -- wouldn't that be fun?!

I like plastic boxes for separating paints, dyes, inks, and all the other apparatus that I use to put color on fabric.  I store the boxes on the same kind of racks as my fabric.  I know this looks like a mess in the photo -- it's not.  Every box is labeled and while the arrangement isn't optimal because of space shortages, I know where everything is and it's all easily accessible.


 I'm not crazy about my thread storage.  I have these boxes that hold large spools neatly along side of smaller ones and they're all arranged by color.  But I keep running out of space and having to purchase more boxes.  And then (soon) I'm going to run out of space for the boxes.  I like these because they keep the dust off and they're clear, so I can see what's in them.  So they're fine for now.  But if anyone has a better solution -- I'd love to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I organize my stuff a lot like you do with plastic boxes labeled (or mostly labeled). I think you way of organizing your thread also makes sense. Some people see my shelving as unorganized but to me it works. Thanks for the peek into your studio.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.