A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

3-D Polyester Scarf

I bought this dress at Goodwill because I loved the polka dot polyester sheer.

I cut the dress round and round to make a ribbon/scarf that was about 10 ft by 4 inches.  I used a heat tool  to cut the polyester so I would not have to worry about raw edges.  (Of course I have heat tools!  Check out the title of the blog!  LOL)

I then used by crazy ninja ...er...shibori binding skills and bound various sizes of buttons into the scarf.

I coiled, boiled, iced, then sliced the binding.  Here is the result.
And a couple pictures of close-ups of the texture.





Judith


7 comments:

  1. How cool is that!!! I certainly wouldn't have thought of doing that, but I sure will be taking a second look for cool polyester at my local Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it yo you Judith to come up with an amazingly clever way to use this technique. Didn't come out great too!! I went to Joanns for a bolt of felt for batting and grabbed a yard of white polyester satin. Hum????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so LOVE what you are doing with the polyesters! Really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love,love,love this. It is on my list of things to do. I'm going to donate some Christmas things that I no longer use and when I do I will go into the store to check out poly clothing. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, turning a dress into a great design scarve. What a great idea to use the heat tool to cut and finish at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool idea. I'm going to UpCycle all my clothing that was on it's way to Goodwill! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.