A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Orange Stripes Redux



After I last posted on this blog, I was unhappy with my piece and received lots of good advice.

I mostly decided to stop taking myself so seriously.

I had another piece of the monoprint/resist-stenciled fabric that was similar to the first piece I used for this technique. I laid one on top of the other and started cutting.



I had a computer blow-up during the weekend, but I found the photos I took of my cutting and stitching of the pieces (Mr S said they were there...I just had to find them).

After a bunch of slicing and dicing, I wound up with these two pieces.  I sewed them together into one piece. I wasn't real careful with my stitching, so it isn't real flat -- there are some tucks and small gathers. 


I still had the pile-o'-turquoise out because I thought it would be the best.  But a little strip of orange (yes-- orange again!) was sitting out left over from a stuffy I made for my daughter this past weekend. 



So I added it.  And I liked it.  So I cut some friends for it.   And added them.   This time I used skinny strips.  And what a difference!

This is where it stands.  It's about 19 by 14 inches.   I rather like it like this -- I'm inclined to leave it here.  Any suggestions?

Should I quilt it?  Add some paint?  Just enjoy it as art cloth?  Or add (gasp) some more strips?

2 comments:

  1. What I see in the orange lines are three uninterrupted stripes of color. Every other line in the piece is cut through. This can either be a way of emphasizing the orange as a focal point or, in my opinion, leaving it feeling unfinished. I guess I'm looking for a little more (gasp, indeed!) strip work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second photo was the show stopper for me. The curved cutting lines contrasting the straight strips is totally awesome! I love the vase-like appearance.

    In the 4th photo the larger vase shape is in front & smaller in back giving a terrific depth!

    in the 4th photo the piece to the right, the line from corner to corner is what I expected to see you do in the orange. It's such a lovely curve.

    In the final photo I still she the lovely oval(ish) shapes that give background movement. First I woudl turn the piece clockwise once. Then from the top right hand corner I see an orange line running from right to left stopping about midway down. I agree then that you would probably need one more orange strip so you aren't even numbered. So my idea is probably lame but that's what I see. The turquoise and lime green solids are lovely together.

    Can wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.