A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Fugitive Media - watercolour pencils and crayons

Kit here.

I tried the fugitive media this weekend using watercolour pencils and watercolour crayons. 




I started out with a piece of my hand-dyed fabric (from when I was attempting make mandelas with procion MX dyes),



and with a watercolour pencil, I enhanced the fuschia lines that were already dyed in, and added blue at the ends of what I imagined were petals. 





Also with watercolour pencils, I added some green. I just left it in the "lined" state as I knew once I added some water, I would be blending. I used a flat, square paint brush with hard rather than soft bristles for the blending.




Then, I used my watercolour crayon to add some more depth to the petals.  (I was working outside in the garden, so as the sun moved around it created shadows on my work.)




After that, I used a charcoal pencil, made "feathered" edges at the ends of the petals. Then I used my paintbrush dipped in water to blend the colours I'd added in.  In retrospect, I'd do the charcoal step at the end, when my petals were done, rather before;



because after I drew in the petals with the watercolour crayons, I had this odd circle shape.  Lesson learned!



I then painted on a mixture of half and half base extender and water, and let it dry. And now all that's left with this is to decide what to do with it.

I've also bought some pastels and will be trying that next.  I'll post about it in a couple of days.

Cheers,








6 comments:

  1. Very cool! Colors are great and it's fun to see this one in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit,
    I absolutely love what you did! I think that using fugitive medium to enhance the "story" a fabric has started to tell is the perfect next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kit,
    I absolutely love what you did! I think that using fugitive medium to enhance the "story" a fabric has started to tell is the perfect next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kit,
    I absolutely love what you did! I think that using fugitive medium to enhance the "story" a fabric has started to tell is the perfect next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Evidently I REALLY liked the work. ROFL

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.